If you’re seeking a refreshing change of pace from complicated art wall arrangements, consider large-scale photography the perfect palate cleanser. Extra-large (roughly 50 centimetres and larger) photographs or digital art prints look crisp and modern, and they make decorating your walls a snap. Here are eight reasons to make space for a large-scale photograph.
To know the allowed maximum frame size, you have to measure the open wall space. Please discount any windows, furniture, showcases and other things when you calculate the open wall space. Once you get this value, find out the longest side, take 2/3rd of that size and see if there are any frames close to this size.
1. One large-scale photo can cost less than a gallery wall. If you are starting from scratch, picking out one statement-making photo to frame (while not cheap) may end up costing less than putting together a wall full of smaller, framed works.
2. It brings a gallery-like focus to the work. Museums and galleries hang artwork with plenty of white space surrounding each piece to draw the eye to the intended focal point — a concept you can use at home as well. Choose one favourite digital art print and hang it with ample breathing space so it can be fully savoured.
3. It meshes well with minimal spaces. A single oversize art print has a big presence in a room yet doesn’t clutter up space with lots of little frames competing for attention. The overall effect is striking but in a clean, minimal way that works well with sleek, modern interiors.
4. It can transport you to a favourite place — or somewhere you dream of going. Whether your heart is calling you to the wilds of Big Sur or the streets of Melbourne, there’s sure to be a photograph that captures the magic of the place. Keeping a visual reminder of the places you’ve been (and long to visit) is a wonderful way to infuse your home with a spirit of wanderlust.
5. It can bring the outdoors in. Simply looking at leafy green trees can help us feel calmer and more peaceful. Try hanging an extra-large (or even wall-size) nature photograph to immerse yourself in the beauty of the natural world, even if you live in the heart of the city.
6. It sets the tone. A great big photograph sets the mood in a way that lots of little pieces of art simply cannot match. From funny to evocative black-and-white art, there’s a subject and style to suit every mood, so keep looking until you find the piece that speaks to you.
7. It makes things easy. Hang one and you’re done — it’s as simple as that. With an oversize photograph, there’s a lot less levelling and hammering to do, so you can get to the best part: kicking back and enjoying your beautiful space.